Good Morning...This morning was a cleaning morning and teacher prep morning, but I had to take some time out and finally connect on with the blog. Sorry Weeze it has taken so long. I neck deep into too many projects with the deadline all by June 3rd. I'm hoping to sleep the whole month of July--or at least during the vacation.
I wanted to also invite the family to know what I do...I mean really do. I know that everyone is busy, but just to take some time to say that living with children who have special needs, it is all consuming. Mostly I never invite my family--you guys--to get too involved because I don't want to burden you, or bore you? However, I think it is time that you gained an insight. (Please know that I've always felt your prayers and support...it is just that I want to give it a shout out...this is for all the family...from siblings to in-laws-to cousins.
Can I give an Autism Shout out? This is Autism Awareness month and we are having our Silent Auction and our puppet show on April 22-23, 2008. Kim Moody (director of Community affairs at Spectrum Academy) asked me what we should do to show-case our kids for the awareness month. I suggested a puppet show, others suggested an auction and WHAMO!! We have our silent Auction and puppet show combo on April 22-23. Please come to the puppet show (dress rehearsal--less people April 22 form 2-3pm) or April 23 from 6-8pm. Please come and show your support. We have sewn, practiced, cheered, been hit, and bit all in the name of raising some funds. Please come and support us.
(FYI Spectrum Academy is a charter school--public funded--that is shorted our most of our Special education funding because we are "too special". This causes us to have to raise $300,000 just to stay in the black). I am also the literary specialist at the school, the Head chair of the TASK FORCE (we are writing a bill to go to the state so that we can be awared our funding, we just finished writing our Grade Configuration application--314pages--so we can have a High School, and I'm in charge of the beuatifcation committee at the school. Please come to our PEN night (I teach those every third Thursday at Spectrum from 6-8pm. If you wanted to know what Autism is...please come and we will educate you. Not only that, we will help you to set up a structure that will help at home.
If it seems like all I write about is Spectrum, well, you would be right. As a founding parent, a teacher, and a mom...it is all consuming. I just want you all to know that this school is a life support to me...staff spent the night at my house when Virginia was in the Hospital, the watch my kids on Tuesday nights when I go to school, I can bring my children who are sick and have them stay with me (they sleep in the life skills room and I check in on them every 20 minutes or so) so that I won't lose my contract.
Anyway, Garrett is struggling again--in school suspension--threw his shoes at the teacher again. HUmmm not okay? But my favorite is when he throws his shoes at the checker at Smiths...hummm, yep, we are now on an in-home behavior plan. Well, just thought I'd hare a bit.
I'll narrow it down next time.



2 comments:
Way to go with the blogging! Isn't it so fun!
Love the pics and updates. Now we just need amy and aaron and alison to get on board. I'll hog tie Alison into it when she's at the house.
weeze
Hey April! I'd love to talk to you more about autism. I'm just starting out the autism journey with my daughter. She will be transitioning into the public school system next month. I am FREAKING out. She has done so well with Early Steps (Part B . . . funded by the State) but unfortunately I think she is low but not "low enough" to qualify for services in the school district. Anyway, glad you're in blog land.
Post a Comment