CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Mesa Verde Adventure!









Mesa Verde, when I mentioned that we were going there for Spring break, people either had never heard of it, or "THAT'S THE COOLEST PLACE" We were sure hoping for the later, and I have to say, it has held up to that title!








This is at the Tree house near the visitor's center. Just amazing at the work the people put into their homes



This is the Square House and it looks small, but it's the tallest dwelling in the park, about 40 feet up, and that's way way down there, and you should of seen the cliff they scaled to get to their home. They came down from the top, over the edge!




We hit all the highlights of the park that were open. The dear lady at the Visitor Center was so kind to remind me that it was still winter here in the Rockies. And not wanting to disappoint her, I just smiled and nodded (I wanted to tell her that Snow in April is normal! but didn't want to give away my Utahness)













This snow picture is what we woke up to after our day at Mesa Verde. We were a tad bit wet, and the rain/snow didn't let up till we got to Blanding. We did the ultra cool thing and got us a cheap Motel and even took the kids out to a restaurant. That's high living kids!



The boys had an awesome time building this tent pad artwork at our site at Deadhorse. You can't see the fine detail in this sculpture, they have embedded cacti quills in the wood! SWEET!



We also made it to Canyonlands and to Newspaper rock. That was the only place where we heard, "We drove all this way for that?" But they quickly were satisfied when we let them loose on the surrounding rocks to explore on. We had to on this trip hike to Delicate Arch in Arches. We have missed that one before so that was our whole focus for Arches. And well worth it. In April that is. I can see where that's be a hot one in July!
Weeze is flying off Dead Horse Point, just happy the kids aren't near the edge.
We also had to visit the 4 corners, just to now saw the whole family had been there. And by the way, bring cash to the 4 corners, the Navajo Indians run that place and there isn't any electricity out there so no VISA option. We had to go into town for cash!

All in All, one great trip Family, I Love YOU!

3 comments:

April said...

WOW!!! I want to go! How much was it to get over there and to do the camping thing? So you think that this is something that our kids could do? Please give the details! I know that Scott has been over there, but I would like to show that I know something about it before I mention it. You all look like you had a great time. Let me know...hey is montecello over there? Can we also make it a temple-ish trip? Hey do you want to join us on our UTAH temple tour? We want to get to every temple in ut + las vegas (when we go to St George) and Idaho falls/Rexburg when we want to go to Logan. LEt me know which ones you would like to meet us for in the saltlake/provo area...or hey would you like to do the Manti Pagent/temple tour with us in June?? We could have the kids watch each other while we all do a session. What do you think??
Thanks for being the coolest sister
(okay everyone is the BEST--but you are the closest!). LOVES!!
April

Hazen5 said...

Weeze, You are crazy! My stomach turned just looking at that picture. I am jealous of your trip. We need to consult you next time we decide to camp, you know all the cool places. I am proud to say I have been to Delicate Arch!

Lora Gooch said...

I've been to Mesa Verde and it's awesome. Funny, I have almost the same picture of us climbing up the ladder to the top room. Amazing how they lived in there. Looks like you had so much fun. I miss those things about the West.